Sunday, January 24, 2010

Will O' The Wisp

Typically I’m not a big fan of reading novels, and even less of a fan about having to write about them. Will O’ The Wisp was a little different. Although the writing seemed to be a little bit out of my range, it wasn’t too difficult of a read and it was a very interesting one. Rochelle caught my interest really quickly with the way he started the novel. The vivid images that he painted in my head about Alain and his lover peaked my interest. The descriptions that he gave for just about everything he wrote about were so detailed that it didn’t give me the typical feeling that I usually get when I’m reading a novel. I also usually find it really difficult to stay concentrated when reading, especially while doing my reading on a computer. My mind roams all over the place and I almost never remember what I read. The extreme use of adjectives kept my mind focused and captivated.
I think writing, along with many other things such as movies and television, creatively express the real world. This novel depicted the struggles that a close friend of Rochelle’s had in a style and manner that would make for an interesting read yet still get the message across of the deeper hidden meaning behind it all. Recently I saw the movie Avatar. The creativity and imagination that it takes to make a movie like that is incredible. The vivid images and colors, and the creatures that were seen had my mind so enthralled that I was truly amazed by this movie. But like Will O’ The Wisp, there was a deeper underlying message. Different people took away different meanings from the movie, but everyone had an idea. Novels, movies, etc., all have creative ways to get across their messages and ideals and Rochelle did a good job getting his message across through his creativity and imagery in Will O’ The Wisp.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brian,
    you are so right about this being an interesting story and I like how you mentioned that "underlying messages" help to get across various meanings but for the simple that readers get some type of message means that the author is doing an amazing job. - Karell B.

    ReplyDelete