Monday, January 11, 2010

response to a void

Wachel’s seawch fow a fwiend

Thewe once was a giwl who on wawm summew days loved to eat cold ice cweam. But she would always spend the summew alone because the kids would make fun of the way she talked. They would giggle when she would tell them about hew white wabbit ow when she showed them a new dwess and haiw wibbon. All the kids would point and yell weiwd wachel, weiwd wachel when she passed them. On one especially hot day in July wachel decided she is not going to sit and eat ice cweam alone. Today she will make a fwiend. So she walked ovew to the house next doow and knocked thwee loud knocks. A tall man with thinning gway haiw opened the doow. He looked down at hew with a fwown and mumbled “what do you want?” wachel took a deep bweath and answewd him loud and cleaw “Im wachel and I am looking fow a fwiend to eat ice cweam with me. Will you be my fwiend?” the man’s eyes widend a little and he said in a tiwed voice “im sowwy I have wowk to do why don’t you play with someone youw age?” without waiting fow an answew he tuwned awound and shut the doow behind him. Wachel headed to the next house on the stweet thinking to hewself “he was pwobably vewy busy but thewe awe plenty of othew people, today I will make a fwiend.” The next house was quite smallew then the fiwst but also much loudew. Wachel could heaw a baby cwying and someone yelling as she walked up the dwiveway to the doow. This time she needed to knock six ow seven times befowe she heawd a voice fwom inside yell “One Minute!” then the doow swung open and thewe stood a fwizzy haiwed woman holding a similawly fwizzy haiwed baby who’s face was as wed as a tomato and was scweaming uncontwollably. The woman looked down at wachel and impatiently asked “Can I help you?” taking a deep bweath again Wachel answewed as loud as she would “Im wachel and I am looking fow a fwiend to eat ice cweam with me. Will you be my fwiend?” befowe she could even finish hew sentence someone yelled fwom inside “Who’s at the doow, and whewe is my blue sweatew?!” the fwizzy haiwed woman smiled a little wolled hew eyes and the yelling behind hew and then answewed “Im sowwy but I am too old to sit awound and eat ice cweam why don’t you play with someone youw age? ” with a small sigh wachel tuwned awound and headed towawds the next house. This house was painted wed and smelled of heavy cooking. Wachel knocked and a tall woman with smooth tanned skin and big hazel eyes immediately answewed the doow. Befowe wachel had a chance to say a wowd the woman began yelling “que you want? Soy muy busy! Ay, cawamba! The tacos!” She then wan back in to the house leaving the doow wide open. Wachel peeked in and then quickly walked ovew to the next house. As she walked up the dwiveway she felt tiwed and thiwsty wachel decided that this would be the last house she would twy fow today is she wouldn’t find a fwiend to eat hew ice cweam with behind this doow then she would just have to go home and eat hew ice cweam alone today like she usually did. Wachle knocked thwee weak knocked but with the thiwd the doow opened and thewe stood a boy wit cuwly blond haiw and gween eyes. Wachel smiled and said hi im wachel and I am looking fow a fwiend to eat ice cweam with me. Will you be my fwiend?” the boy looked at wachel shyly and said “Im Micheaw and I wouwd wove to be youw fwiend!” The two then made theiw way back to wachel’s house to eat some chocolate ice cweam and spent the west of theiw summew togethew.


4 comments:

  1. This is really cute and well written. I think it's really clever how you used the letter W to convey her speech impediment throughout the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! It reminded me of Elmer Fudd when he says "Shhh...I'm hunting wabbits!" From reading the story, I kept fumbling over words because I kept reading all the r's like w's and when I would read a word like "one," it would throw me off. I became a little frustrated and then I realized, this is probably how people with speech impediments feel like. They have to hear themselves always saying a word improperly and it probably frustrates them so much since they can't really do anything about it. So throughout the story, I felt her frustration and sadness from having this speech impediment and not finding friends who could accept her without laughing at her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From:Karell Belle
    Hey Hadas,
    I loved your sorry it was very unique and I loved the concept of the story. I am not going to lie but at first I did not realize you were replacing the letter "r" with the letter "w" to show her speech impediment and why the kids were making fun of the way rachel spoke.- Karell Belle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed it too. Great idea. I opted out of the void exercise due to lack of originality. Your story was well thought out and cute.

    ReplyDelete