Friday, January 22, 2010

Will O' The Wisp Response- Brenda A.

Rochelle did a great job creating such a realistic sense of atmosphere in his writing. It allowed the reader to create a portrait of the events that took place in the reading. Rochelle style of writing also made the reading easy to follow and understand. Alain's struggle in finding an actual purpose in life is something that most human beings come to face at least once in their life. We as humans seem to challenge what is it that life actually has to offer to find the true meaning of existence. I believe Alain's issues of not being able to satisfied with drugs, women, and money resulted because they were all easily available to him. His value of life slowly diminished as the story progressed.

Rochelle depicted Alain's roller coaster of emotions from being content for a moment to feeling completely depressed very well. Alain finally seemed to look forward to death than actually living. His uplift of happiness was brought about as he became closer to actually committing suicide. I think this rise of adrenaline occurred because of the sense of not knowing what death actually had to offer. His life continued in a repetitive cycle which allowed him to lose interest in life overall. As humans we sometimes become unenthusiastic when our life functions in the same cycle until something or someone comes along to alter life's direction. I wish Alain would have noticed that Lydia was that someone to make his life more meaningful. I think Alain's suicide was a very selfish act because it may have brought peace and happiness to himself but was very unfortunate for Lydia. This was a great novel. I truly enjoyed it.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice Brenda I do agree with you that Alain's life slowly diminished as the story progressed but I feel that He was getting excited for death the more the story progressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You describe the Alain's feelings very well after use of drug. I had the same feeling as you while reading through the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brenda,
    I liked how you covered the fact that how suicide is a selfish act which may bring fulfillment to the person committing it but what they fail to realize or stop and think about is how it will affect their love ones tremendously. - Karell B.

    ReplyDelete