Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Exercises In Style

Zach Pedley



Narrative-

I Awoke early morning, then showered the soap gave off a distinct smell I couldn’t get the smell at first but eventually got it, it was pineapple. After my shower I got dressed in work out clothes and made my self a quick breakfast of toast and grapefruit. Once breakfast was done I grabbed my keys and hopped in the car and drove to Rexar’s Karate and fitness center. Once there I needed to train for the tournament that was in two weeks. While practicing my karate forms I noticed something a gentleman about the same build as mine except that he a bit taller than me. Once I got a good look at his face I realized who he was, his name was Mark and his sparing record was very good. Actually it was perfect, 11 wins and 0 losses. He was approaching me he saw me training and wanted to spar.
Once he said that he wanted to just practice I was all for it. But as the time went on the intensity increased. Instead of throwing punches that would just tap the other person we were in to full contact sparing. Both of us were concentrating so well that we didn’t even notice the other people gathering around to watch. I would punch, he would block, then he would kick and I would block. I think during this fight I gained his respect. I was so concentrated, predicted everything. Then I saw it out of the corner of my eye his footing was off after his last kick. I took my chance and kicked toward his feet, he was surprised and the kick landed. After Mark had fallen on his back I was standing over him with a punch ready. The match was over I had defeated him, and helped him up and we shook hands and went our separate ways.


Reported Speech

Mr. Pedley Said that it happened early in the morning shortly after breakfast. Many people witnessed the fight but Mr. Pedley didn’t have time to count the number of people because he was concentrating on the fight. Mr. Pedley Said that a man named Mark who was of the same build as himself except Mark was a bit taller than himself.
According to Mr. Pedley, Mark Challenged him to a simple practice spar that got out of hand. It went from punches that just tap the other person to full on contact. Mr. Pedley then said that he knocked Mark off of his feet then defeated mark. After the match Mr. Pedley then helped his opponent up and shook his hand.


Realization
Was I to wake up?
Was I to eat?
Was I to fight?
Was I to win?
Was I to Win?
Was I to win?
WAS I TO WIN?


Haiku-

Started to awake
Went to gym got in fight
Stand tall he had fell


Retrograde-

I stood there sweet dripped down my face he had fallen. Only a few moments ago mark and I were fighting full force in a full contact fight. He wouldn’t of lost if he didn’t loose his footing, which allowed me to catch him off guard and knock him off his feet. It never was suppose to get this intense it was just going to be a simple spar. I had come here to the dojo just to train for the upcoming tournament. Earlier this morning I had waken up early so I could be able to get a quick breakfast and get here early.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the details you've put into writing your account of winning against the undefeated sparring champion! Small details such as the sweat dripping from your face and noticing his stance from the corner of your eye. I used to take a form of martial arts as well. These different versions of your sparring battle bring back so many clear memories of the intensity and adrenaline that comes with such an exhilarating experience. Thank you for these wonderful narratives.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never took any martial art lessons but I could relate to friendly sparring escalating. I use to box against my cousin, and it started off friendly but before you knew it one of us was on the floor. So the story does show that natural escalation that occurs in any competition pretty accurately.

    -Juan Turcios

    ReplyDelete