Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Exercises in Style

Narrative

Princess Olympia of Austria was arranged to marry Prince Rupert of Prussia. However, she did not love him. She was in love with an American engineer, Charlie Foster, who she randomly bumped into. Charlie loved her and was upset when he found out that she had to marry the Prince.

On the day of her marriage to Prince Rupert, Princess Olympia wore a long flowing white dress adorned with diamonds and crystals. Yet, Princess Olympia had a plan of her own. After consulting her father on whether or not she should marry the Prince, she decided to run away with Charlie back to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.


Realization

was i to marry him?

was i to marry HIM?

was i to MARRY him?

was i TO marry him?

was I to marry him?

WAS i to marry him?


Under the sea

In the distance, I saw a very shiny female fish. As she glided in my direction, I saw she was a beautiful silver Lyretail Molly with the longest tail I’ve ever seen. I couldn’t approach her though; I was merely a Blue Whale! Besides, I saw a Basking Shark approaching her and taking her under his fin. With my blowhole down, I swam the other way. Suddenly, she appeared under my fin! We cruised to the most beautiful coral reef imaginable.


Strange

Princess Olympia was very strange. Strangely, she was to marry Prince Rupert, but she was estranged from him. Turned out, she was in love with a man from a strange land who she met on a strange occasion. Strangely, that man from a strange land loved her too! On a strange day, she put on a strange outfit with strange rocks. She exchanged strange words with an old, strange man. She then strangely ran downstairs to that man from a strange land. Strange.


Choreography - Formations



Gibberish

Pridigincidigess Idigolidigividigiidiga widigas tidigo midigarridigy Pridigince Ridigupidigert tidigodidigay. Bidigut shidige lidigoves sidigomebidigodidigy idigelse. Whidigo? Idigan Idigamidigeridigicidigan midigan. Shidige didigecidigididiged tidigo gidigo idigawidigay widigith thidige Idigamidigeridigicidigan midigan bidigack tidigo Idigamidigeridigicidiga.


Paint

An empty canvas. A dash of canary yellow. Streaks of moonlight silver with a touch of brilliant lavender. Doomsday black with a hint of charcoal splattered everywhere. A hint of phthalo blue at first. Then a dollop of it swirled in with the moonlight silver & brilliant lavender. This vanishes into an array of reds, oranges, and yellows.


Emoticons

(From Charlie Foster’s view)

:-| ;-) :-) =-O :-X >:o :-( :’( :-! :-D :-* 8-)


Confused

So I went to this amazing wedding yesterday!...wait…was it yesterday? Maybe it was last week. No, no…it was yesterday. I think. It was really fancy, it was at the Palace, no the Chapel, maybe it was in their backyard? Well it was outdoors anyways, because I clearly remember there were lots of purple roses. Purple roses? No, maybe it was red. It was pink! Definitely pink! Pink calla lilies! It was beautiful, I tell ya. Anyways, it was this Prussian Princess and French Prince! Isn’t that fabulous? Oh wait, I think Marcy told me it was a Prussian Prince and an Austrian Princess… Anywho, so some prince and princess were about to get married, but then the princess totally ditches him! Can you believe it? Who would dump the Prince of Italy? They have such wonderful food! So I run out to see her leaving with some man on a motorcycle! Or you know, one of those cars with an engine. I hear they’re headed for China!


Ignorance

So was I going to marry him? No of course not! Just because he’s a prince, I should marry him? I don’t even know the man! Well yes, he has money, cars, conquered lands everywhere, and lots of power. But there’s more to life than that. What more is there? There’s PLENTY more! If you don’t know, then you haven’t had a great love. Because if you did, you’d see why I chased after the man I loved instead of marrying some random guy I barely know!


Distracted

Hm? Oh yes! So I went to a lovely wedding on Friday last week and it was... Oh! That reminds me, I need to schedule an appointment with my hairstylist. What hairstyle do you think I should get? I was thinking of maybe getting layers. No, I don’t want bangs. OH! Right! The wedding! Lovely…just a lovely wedding. The bride wore this beautiful Vera Wang dress adorned with diamonds from head to toe …oh those diamonds! Those diamonds were so gorgeous. They sparkled and glimmered in the sunlight. I wish my husband would buy me such beautiful diamonds. You know, diamonds ARE a girl’s best friend. Don’t forget the rubies, pearls, and other precious stones too! I surely wouldn’t mind some mink and shearling coats! I wish he would take me on a shopping spree! Ugh, imagine all the great things I could buy. Now you see, if he had become an engineer like I told him…


Scandalous!!

OH MY GAWD! Did you hear the TOTALLY SCANDALOUS news?! So that WILD Princess Olympia was going to marry that TOTALLY HOT HUNK Prince Rupert! Isn’t that just SCANDALOUS?! BUT WAIT! I JUST found out that SHE was with some OTHER fellow! And guess what…he’s AMERICAN! SCANDALOUS!!!!!!!!!!! She left the PRINCE of PRUSSIA for some AMERICAN… on her WEDDING DAY!!!…SO SCANDALOUS!

10 comments:

  1. funny, i think that my wife was thinking the confusion part on the day of our wedding. but in all seriousness, i thoroughly enjoyed your play on the marriage story. It so reminded me of my days leading up to my wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enojyed your emphasis on the different words in the narrative exercise. Although, I'm not married nor came close to marriage, from my cousin's and mother's personal accounts on their feelings leading up to marriage, your narrative illustrates their emotions. It's a feeling of uncertainty & I would say, a possible feeling of shock that, "this" is the man that they have married, and probably the only man they will be with forever. Just a though I had, I enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your stories, the Realization piece inspired me too add it to mine that I will post soon. Also i really enjoyed the under the see piece its a different take on life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading all of these! I thought they were very clever and you did a good job in choosing many differnet viewpoints to write the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. I thought the choreography section was really creative. My favorite is the emoticon one because it shows how we communicate today, and also what may be lost in communication as technology evolves and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. VERY CREATIVE!!!! I enjoyed the fact that you used so many different styles to convey the same sense of feelings. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting styles that you have written. I really enjoyed it! Also, the styles that you used are very creative!!!!!!!! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From: Karell Belle
    I think your work was very creative because you used several different styles to tell your narrative. The styles which I enjoyed reading most were the ignorance, distracted and scandalous. I liked the ignorance because this is true some women do marry men all because of the amount of money he may have and not because of love. The distracted version had a lot of mixed thoughts it was not focused on one thing at time but instead several, and I think you this showed that you understood the concept of the "distracted" style. The scandalous was very funny and gossip like. Overall you did a great job portraying all of these styles!- Karell Belle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if anyone has watched the cartoon "Recess," but that's where I got the "Scandalous" idea from. There were the Ashleys that always said "SCANDALOUS!" so I thought I'd use that word for fun. I wrote the Distraction one because that's how one of my friends talks...I never understand WHAT he's trying to talk about because he's always switching topics!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your writing! Especially with the "Under the Sea" one and "Scandalous" one! Very creative.

    -Chih Chang

    ReplyDelete