One reason I enjoyed Queneau’s text was that it reminded me of the “Goosebumps” books I read when I was younger. The traditional “Goosebumps” books were children’s horror fiction books, but the ones that this essay reminded me of were the type that were called “Give Yourself Goosebumps”. The plot went along and at certain times you were asked to make a decision to either investigate the strange noise coming from the woods, or go back into the house, or something of that nature. Depending on what you chose you were told to flip to a certain page to see what happened next. Invariably, I would read a page or two after my choice, then flip back and see what outcomes the other option would have yielded. I honestly don’t think I ever got through a book without flipping around and changing my choices multiple times
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I used to do that as well. I feel like it's cheating, in a way, but I did it nonetheless.
ReplyDeletewe humans are always intrigued by options, so don't blame yourself :)
ReplyDeleteIs it sad to say that I don't remember the goosebumps books as a kid, but only the show that came on after school around 4pm during the week? hahaha, i probably should get in touch with my childhood & read a goosebumps book
ReplyDeleteWhen I use to read the goosebumps books I would choose the one ending and finish the book,and once I finished the book I never went back to choose the other option. I guess I was too lazy back then.
ReplyDeleteAnytime i read goosebumps I had to check out all the options before I continued reading any further. I felt as if I would be missing out on something interesting
ReplyDeleteFrom: Karell Belle
ReplyDeleteHey Benjamin,
That is so true what you about reading a book and flipping a few pages ahead to find out what is going to happen next, because I stil do that sometimes and It is like cheating yourself but sometimes I feel like it also gives me motivation to read the book because I want to get to the more "juicy" parts of the story. - Karell Belle