Sunday, January 10, 2010

Poem written in a style used by Perec

I wrote this poem excluding the letter A.

Love of My Life

I grew up competing in sports
I fell in love with them
I’m truly good
I competed my whole life
From six until eighteen it’s the only thing I did
I run drills from morning until night
I strive to be the best
I go to college
My whole life morphs
Everybody’s good just like me
Most of them better
I try out for the club but things don’t go how I envisioned
But you know the expression
Everything occurs on purpose
Upset my life is over I stroll home with my skull held down
Not looking where I’m going down in the dumps
I collide into something I never detected
I looked up
There she stood
The perfect girl of my thoughts
Her wonderful golden locks blow in the wind
My fists begin to perspire
My knees begin to quiver
Too nervous to do something I express remorse then move on
I look behind me while I move out of sight
She smiles in my direction
The fireworks begin to fly
I look into her gorgeous green eyes
I build up the guts to move over in her direction
I invite her to go out with me
She surprisingly consents
My world is turned upside down
Sports no longer hold the key to my soul
Mere hobby now in the hind of my mind
We go out once
Once turns to twice
The chemistry is electric
Next thing I know things get pretty serious
We go out for one month
Things go terrific
Six months go by
We tell the other I love you
Twelve months come
We journey on our first trip
Our first time of freedom
The presence of love is overwhelming
Our time spent together is wondrous
We decide to move on to the next level
We move in together
Our first home
Big steps in our lives
It’s been twenty four months now
Thing’s couldn’t be better
College commencement is quickly imminent
One semester left
When it’s done we will be one
Wedding then kids I see for our future
The loss of one love brought me to someone new
The love of my life will soon be my wife

9 comments:

  1. I want to say, that this is really good. I enjoyed reading it, as I too played college sports (baseball) for Binghamton and it came a time to let it go and move on with life. I also agree with you and see things as happening for a reason, and I see it as, you had to lose something to gain something, allowing you to have more time (I'm guessing) to really love and put in the same effort you did with sports, into your relationship. I enjoyed the poem. Sorry for the randomness and deepness but I liked it and nice job with leaving out the letter "A"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your poem, and thought it was especially interesting how you related your love for sports to your love for your girlfriend. I believe peoples' passions for the things they enjoy most often mirror their passion for the people they hold dear. I used to dance, and still do but a lot less. I think if I wrote a love poem, I would also relate my love for dance to the love I have for my boyfriend.

    Aleksandra Vileshina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on having met your future wife. I think it's beautiful that you love her so deeply and express it here so well. I couldn't completely relate to the sports part until I read others' comments and realized that people can truly fall in love with their hobbies/activities. I've never experienced that but I think it's very cool. I hope you still find time to play, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this poem! I found that I related a lot to it because I played sports all my life and decided it was too hard to continue them in college. It has been something I have regretted but if I hadn't given them up I probably wouldn't have had time to meet many of the people that I have grown close with today (similar to you meeting your girlfriend).

    ReplyDelete
  5. NIce poem. Very emotionally which I don't really expect from guys. I know a bit harsh but I see men can be just as emotional. I love that you came to realize that a lost enable you to gain. I'm surprised that you were also able to write a full length poem without using the letter "a". Good luck to you & your future wife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I can see that you're purposely trying to avoid the letter "a" (i.e: "but you know the expression, everything occurs on purpose"), but I think you did a great job of excluding the letter "a" and writing such a heartfelt poem. I think what's so great about your poem is the timeline you provide and the "speed", if you will, that you write it in. Within a matter of a couple of lines, we pretty much know your whole life story and the things that are really important to you or the monumental events in your life that have changed you. We see your past, present and your plans for the future. When I read your poem, it reminded me of a romantic movie specifically the event where you bumped into your girlfriend. For most of your story, you went through the details/years fairly quickly ("I competed my whole life, from six to eighteen") However, when you bumped into your girlfriend, you gave so much more detail and it seemed as though time had slowed down. I think your poem gave a wonderful story about the rollercoasters of your life and definitely takes the reader for a ride. Great job :)
    -Kalle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great poem. I too have a love for sports (cycling). I know how it feels to be passionate about an interest. When going for a ride I am so content as to say that this, cycling, is the only true desire I have in life. Money, and other tangible desires fall to the wayside. I have not met my sole mate yet. I wonder if when I do it she will take the place of cycling, or exist along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw so cute! i really liked this and i love how the words you ended up using because of not using the letter A actually made the poem so much more unique
    -Hadas

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed how it appeared at first to be all in prensent tense form without the letter a however, much to my dissapointment you dont need the letter a to move between past and present tenses. It also appealed to my palate for reading poems filled with a series of consecutive one liners that make up a complete story, almost childishly prose in format. The use of vocabulary allowed it to not be such but it was interesting to consider the former (it actually being a childish prose poem).

    -Ae Rhee Chung

    ReplyDelete