Narrative
It was a hot summer day in New York. Little Timmy knew that today was going to be a special day, for today his father was going to take him to the ballpark to see the Yankees. Timmy had prepared his glove the night before, and even practiced catching the ball all by himself in the backyard. Today was definitely the day that Timmy was going to catch a homerun.
At the ballpark the bottom of the 6th inning rolled around, and it finally happened a powerful hit heading right toward Timmy. He got into position, prepared his glove and easily secured the ball, his practice had paid off. On his way back home Timmy was filled with joy and continued to toss the ball into the air replaying his amazing catch. Then the unimaginable occurred, Timmy did not catch the ball, and it rolled onto the street and into a sewer as the powerless Timmy looked on. The magical day had been ruined.
A subjective side
I still can’t believe I lost that incredible homerun ball. Everything had gone so right for the entire day. I had practiced with my glove the night before and the glove had never felt better. While most grown-ups were complaining about the heat I was busy practicing, because I was sure it was finally my turn to catch a Yankee homerun, and I was right. When the ball finally came towards me I made a spectacular catch you should have seen it, everybody around me was cheering because of my catch.
Then I did the most foolish thing I have done in my life, I decided to play with my homerun ball, my HOMERUN BALL!!! Oh why, why did I do that? I should have known nothing good could happen. One second it was mine then it was rolling towards the sewer and it was gone forever.
Retrograde
The baseball escaped Timmy’s glove rolled onto the street and into a sewer. Little Timmy was heartbroken, for he had just lost his Homerun ball which he caught only a few hours ago. It was at the ballpark, more preciously Yankee stadium where Timmy had caught the ball. There was no doubt he was going to catch any ball hit in his direction today, because he had been practicing the entire day and the night before. He even made sure his glove was ready the night before just to assure himself that everything was in order for the big day. It is a shame Timmy lost that ball, especially since the day had been going so well, and because he did all of that practicing on a particularly hot New York summer day.
Negatives
It was neither a cold nor a mild day in New York, but it was a hot day. Timmy was neither a teenager nor an adult, he was a child. He knew today was not going to be an ordinary or normal day; it was going to be special. He was neither going to stay home nor go to his friends house, but he was going to Yankee stadium. Timmy had neither sat around waiting, nor spent all day eating, but instead he prepared his glove and practiced. He was not doubtful or hesitant, he knew he would catch a homerun today.
It was not during the 5th or 7th inning, it happened in the 6th inning. The ball was neither bunted, nor popped up for an out, but it has hit for a homerun. The ball did not go to the left or to the right of Timmy, it went right towards Timmy. He neither panicked, nor lost focus, but he made an outstanding catch. He was neither sad, nor depressed, but exuberant. On the way back home, Timmy neither hid the ball, nor gave the ball to his father, but he played with the ball. Then Timmy neither made the catch, nor prevented the ball from escaping his glove, but allowed the ball to go onto the street. The ball neither went underneath a car, nor hit a car, but it went straight into a sewer. Now Timmy was neither exuberant, nor exited, but depressed. The ball was gone not for an hour, not for a day, but forever.
Although I have never had the opportunity of catching a ball during a baseball game but I haved shared a similar experience of losing a hockey puck at an Islander's game when I was a child. The last sentence under negatives really portrays the loss of a prized possession.
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of the beginning of a cartoon movie- the ball is lost and now Timmy has to go on some long adventure to recover it, complete with singing sewer rats and stuff. Clearly I have an overactive imagination but anyway, I liked the story.
ReplyDeleteFrom : Karell Belle
ReplyDeleteHey Juan,
I liked the different ways you conveyed the same idea of how he lost the winning ball. I do not know much about baseball but I like enjoyed how long and hard he worked to catch the winning ball. The "negative" style you used was very good especially because you use "neither" or "nor" to represent the negatives.
- Karell Belle
I can relate to this story. I went to a Yankees/Mariners game in 2005 and I got my baseball that my father bought in the stadium signed by Ken Griffey Jr. If knowbody knows "The Kid", he's a sure bet for the Baseball Hall Of Fame. After I got it signed, he said "don't use it to play catch with dad", but I never had the chance to, because my damn dog later that day saw it in my glove and chewed it up!! its a terrible feeling for a young kid who just met his idol to say the least
ReplyDeleteWow, long day I meant *nobody
ReplyDeleteI used to play football in my high school year and reminds of me having similar situation as your story. I was a full-back in offense, and used to run the ball alot. Of course, I wasn't that good but I used to get many touch-downs for the team. But couple of times, I used to leek the ball that made fumble and etc. Which made me think the practices that I have done weren't showing much for the team!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I really like your story and thanks for reminding me of my early ages!